Saturday, April 23, 2011

Earth Day 2011

I was unaware that we moved to “tornado alley” when we made the move to NWA! We have had BAD storms all week and my weather radio has been going crazy with all the watches and warnings!! I am getting use to “teacup size hail” and severe super cells! On Friday night we had a tornado heading straight for us.

205162_1711626714767_1361106201_31499255_4991497_s

My TV and radio were going crazy with warnings of our specific town and they advised us to get in our “ safe spot”, saying the tornado is heading straight for the neighborhood next to ours. I got Kaitlin in our bathroom, not an easy task getting a two year old in a tiny room! I had my arsenal of tricks ready with markers, maracas, coloring books, goldfish, animal crackers, and vanilla wafers. If I was going to be trapped we were not going to be grumpy, bored, or hungry. I was too scared to take a picture but I now am wishing I had! Kaitlin was so good in that little room and never whined or cried.

IMG00003-20110422-1643

We are so thankful the tornado passed us and that we had no damage. It was the most scared I have ever been. Conversely Kaitlin had SOOOO much fun and was excited about her new playroom in the bathroom. She was wired after the bathroom containment and went to bed extra late. Happy Earth Day 2011!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a much better tornado strategy than the "get in the hallway under this mattress!" approach the Shelton family once used in Memphis. I also love that you've now established tornado = maracas for Kaitlin.

    ReplyDelete